- SandboxAQ’s reported a profitable examined of its superior, quantum sensor-based magnetic anomaly navigation system.
- The take a look at flights have been carried out final week at Travis Air Pressure Base by the sixtieth Air Mobility Wing.
- The system makes use of indicators from Earth’s magnetic discipline to behave as an unchangeable world “fingerprint,” and compares the indicators to present map information to reinforce accuracy.
PRESS RELEASE — SandboxAQ at present introduced it has efficiently examined its superior, quantum sensor-based magnetic anomaly navigation system with the U.S. Air Pressure (USAF). The take a look at flights, carried out final week at Travis Air Pressure Base by the sixtieth Air Mobility Wing, have been a part of an ongoing readiness and modernization effort to discover and develop an Assured Positioning, Navigation, and Timing (APNT) answer to enhance the International Positioning System (GPS). Such options will present uninterrupted navigation in conditions the place GPS is unavailable or deliberately denied or spoofed.
In January 2023, the USAF awarded SandboxAQ a Direct-to-Section-II Small Enterprise Innovation Analysis (SBIR) contract to analysis quantum navigation applied sciences. “The necessity for GPS-alternatives is essential,” stated Maj. Patrick Morgan, Wing Ways. “If we’re executing a mission the place GPS shouldn’t be obtainable, it’s essential to have one other answer to make sure mission continuity and guarantee a protected exit and return to base for our Airmen.”
As a part of final week’s Train, Golden Phoenix, SandboxAQ’s quantum navigation prototype was put in aboard a USAF C-17 GlobeMaster III navy transport plane and efficiently acquired geomagnetic navigation information on the bottom and through a number of in-flight checks, finishing its take a look at flight milestones eight months forward of schedule.
“Resilient world navigation is a mission-critical functionality for navy operations, but in addition for bettering the security and geospatial accuracy of business transport, enterprise and leisure journey, autonomous autos, underwater or underground exploration, and extra,” stated Jen Sovada, International Public Sector President at SandboxAQ. “We’re extremely proud that our quantum navigation system carried out admirably in its first in-flight take a look at, and we look ahead to the subsequent section with the USAF and different companions.”
In contrast to conventional sensors, quantum sensors are extremely delicate to even the slightest adjustments in electrical and magnetic fields. SandboxAQ’s system captures indicators from Earth’s magnetic discipline, which acts as an unchangeable world “fingerprint,” and compares the indicators to present map information to reinforce total positional consciousness. The system leverages synthetic intelligence (AI) algorithms to filter out “noise” (e.g., vibration, movement, electrical impulses, and many others.) generated by airplanes or different autos, which significantly enhance sign processing velocity and accuracy.
Key points of SandboxAQ’s quantum navigation system:
- Unjammable Worldwide Sign: As a result of Earth’s magnetic discipline is omnipresent and unjammable, it offers unfettered entry and a persistent, trusted sign from any location.
- All-Climate: Quantum sensors should not influenced by clouds or lighting circumstances, making them an efficient complement to different navigation methods.
- Terrain Agnostic: Quantum navigation doesn’t require visible floor options, making it a invaluable software for navigation within the air, over open water, on distant terrain, even underwater or underground.
- Passive Expertise: Quantum sensors passively obtain geomagnetic information and don’t emit or mirror any indicators, which helps scale back a automobile’s detectability.
- Improved International Magnetic Mapping: Sharing information generated by quantum sensors has the potential to reinforce world magnetic maps for a wide range of stakeholders and use circumstances.
For extra details about SandboxAQ’s quantum sensing options, together with its superior quantum navigation system, please go to https://www.sandboxaq.com/solutions/quantum-sensing.